Case Study : Exercise done & implemented at a reputed Construction company in Mumbai
Application : Sealing Tie Rod Holes in RCC Structure
Present Method : Cement Grouting is the most popular method
Costing : Length of Hole : 500 mm, Diameter : 50 mm
Material cost = 1 bag of 25 kgs ( costing Rs. 275 ) used to fill 75 holes
= Rs. 3.7
Labour cost : 2 labours will grout 50 holes per day
= Rs. 20
Total cost = Rs. 23.7 per hole
Expanding Polyurethane ( PU) Foam Spray Sealant Method – Using AE 100 Gun Grade PU foam
Application Procedure :
Clean the Tie rod holes with local water spray
Apply AE 100 PU foam using Gun
Sealant will Expand and cure in 15 to 30 minutes
Cut excess foam coming out of hole using knife
Water Test : spray water under pressure from one end to check if it leaks to the other end .
No leakage observed
PU foam method costing:
Material Cost -One 750ml foam can, filled 66 holes ( 20 diameter * 450 mm length) , Approx Cost of one 750 ml can =300 + GST.
Per hole material cost = PU foam + Pu cleaner + Pu Gun = 4.5+.5+.5 = Rs 5.5
Labour Cost: one labour can fill approx 250 holes in a day. Per hole labour cost =Rs. 2 ( Rs. 500 per day labour cost)
Total cost =Rs. 7.5 per hole
Benefits of PU foam spray vs Cement Grouting
cost saving of Rs 16.2 per hole , 68% reduction in cost
Productivity improvement by 500%
Leak free – better reliability
What is One component PU Foam
One-component spray polyurethane foam (SPF) is dispensed as a frothy liquid which expands and moisture-cures into a solid foam insulation and sealant. Fire Rated or regular PU foam are available in convenient aerosol cans .
Other Applications of Regular/ Fire Rated Expandable PU foam spray Sealant
It is ideal for back filling, sealing, bonding and isolation.
Filling of joints, seams and cracks in:
- Partition walls with ceilings
- Structural space between window- and door frames and walls
- structural and fitting space between prefabricated construction elements
- Around cables and pipes, penetrations through walls and ceilings
- Gluing panels/ insulating sheets
- Construction : Fitting Door frames , window frame gaps, sealing tie rod holes/joints, gap between bricks and beam, bonding AAC blocks.
- Power plants : sealing gap between cable and wires,gap between electric panel outlet
- Solar Plants : sealing gap between cable and wires
- Interiors : Gap filling, Terrace - heat insulation
- Cold Storage/ Wooden houses : gap filling